배너

2015년 1월 8일 목요일

PE 1/9 A Nightmare Situation

Carla makes my blood boil! She’s gone ahead and invited twenty-four people to our combined birthday party, and the place only has room for fifteen.
* make one’s blood boil: to cause great anger
ex> I've stopped reading the news because it always makes my blood boil.
* go ahead and: to proceed without hesitation.
ex> My husband went ahead and invited all his buddies over on our anniversary.

Well, she’s not the brightest light on the tree. She knows we can only have fifteen, but she doesn't want to uninvited anyone now. She says it would be rude.
* not the brightest light on the tree: foolish; not as intelligent as most people
ex> I may not be the brightest light on the tree, but I’m very good at gymnastics.
Note> Interestingly, English has many expressions that refer to a person’s lack of intelligence. Another one is “a sandwich short of a picnic.”

I see her point. Couldn't the party be moved to a bigger venue? Surely the location isn’t set in stone.
* set in stone: irreversibly decided
= carved in stone; written in stone; absolutely certain
ex> Of course you can change your lunch order. It’s not set in stone.

No, it can’t. We want to have it at Ellie’s sister’s new restaurant. Ellie’s been trying to organize this for weeks, and now Carla’s gone and thrown a spanner in the works.
* throw a spanner (wrench) in the works: to do something disruptive or damaging
ex> It won’t throw a spanner in the works if I bring my mother on our date, will it?
ex> When Victor showed the plans to our competitor, it really threw a spanner in the works.



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기