배너

2015년 1월 19일 월요일

PE 1/19 More Cold than Meets the Eye

But that window is just the tip of the iceberg. Look over here. It’s the same thing around these windows too. And the back door isn't sealing properly either.
* the tip of the iceberg: a small part of something large and problematic
ex> Kim discovered that her husband’s baseball card addiction was just the tip of the iceberg.

What if we went to the hardware store right now and bought a bunch of weatherstripping supplies? I’ll bet we could have this place sealed to within an inch of its life in just a few hours.
* within an inch of one’s life: to a very great degree
ex> Lionel squeezed out the damp rag to within an inch of its life.
ex> My mom says that my grandma used to scold her to within an inch of her life.

You’re absolutely right! A little elbow grease could save us a small fortune in heating bills over the course of the winter.
* elbow grease: effort expended to complete a physical task
ex> I used to shine my dad’s shoes with nothing more than an old rag and a lot of elbow grease.
* small fortune: a significant amount of money
= an arm and a leg; a ton of money; some major bucks
ex> I’m glad these shoes are so comfortable, because they cost me a small fortune.
* over the course of: during a span of time
ex> The Watts Towers in Los Angeles were built over the course of 33 years.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기