배너

2015년 1월 22일 목요일

PE 1/22 Making a Splash

I’m happy just to stand here and let the waves tickle my belly button. I love that there are no rocks to stub my toes on!
* belly button: 배꼽

You promise you won’t pull a fast one? I've heard that swim instructors play all kinds of nasty tricks, like throwing babies into the water!
* pull a fast one: to make a quick maneuver, often to deceive
ex> Never change money on the street. Those crooks will try to pull a fast one!

I promise: I've got you. Now just lie back and fall into my arms. You’ll love the sense of freedom. Trust me.
I've got you: I will protect you; I will pay your bill
ex> Just pedal quickly and look straight ahead. I’ve got you.
ex> Put that wallet away, Mister. It’s payday, so I’ve got you.

Oooo! I just can’t, Davis. I don’t want to be a downer, but it’s too scary. Maybe some other time we can try to… Hey! Look! They've got jet skis here!!!
* downer: a depressing person or situation; a disappointment
= wet blanket; stick-in-the-mud; party pooper
ex> I agree that Randy can be a downer, but I really think we should do our best to cheer him up.

Don’t worry, babe. They won’t come in past the swimming floats. We’re completely safe and sound here.
* safe and sound: free from danger or injury
ex> The stray kittens are safe and sound in the box we put out for them.
Note> A ship that came through a storm or battle was declared “safe” when it returned to harbor, and “sound” when it showed no signs of damage.

You really are full of surprises! Okay, we’ll take a rain check on swimming lessons. But you’d better wear a life jacket!
* full of surprises: unpredictable; behaving in unexpected ways
ex> Trudy is full of surprises: she just quit her job to take a helicopter pilot’s course.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기