배너

2015년 1월 28일 수요일

PE 1/28 An Honest Viewpoint

Hey, Todd. Nice of you to stop by again. So… what’s with the measuring tape?
* what’s with…? What is the purpose of or reason for…?
= what’s up with; why; what’s going on with
ex> What’s with all the yelling? I thought I asked you kids to be quiet.

That would be an awful lot of trouble for us to go to just so I could have a slightly larger desk.
* an awful lot of: a large or excessive quantity
ex> There are an awful lot of dirty dishes in the sink.

It figures that you’d have ulterior motives. Go back to your palatial desk. And you can give that whole “friendly visit” spiel a rest now that I know what your game is.
* palatial: 대궐 같은, 호화로운
* ulterior motive(s): hidden reason(s) for doing something
ex> Marvin says there’s a nice restaurant at the racetrack, but I think he has ulterior motives.
* spiel: a lengthy speech intended to persuade
ex> I closed the door on the salesman because I didn't have time to listen to his spiel.
ex> Just ask Malcolm for a straight answer, or he’ll give you a whole spiel about his problems.
* one’s game: a method of deception someone employs, sometimes habitually
ex> Ralph wants my girlfriend to teach him Spanish, but I think I know what his game is.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기