배너

2014년 12월 31일 수요일

PE 12/31 New Year’s Eve Party – Big Corporate Blowout

Oscar! I’m so glad you’re here. I don’t know anyone at this party yet, except for Theresa from accounting. But she’s such a social butterfly, I can only talk to her for five seconds before she flutters away again.
* a social butterfly: a person who is very friendly at parties or other social functions
ex> Jill was such a social butterfly that she rarely left a party with fewer than five new friends.

Last year’s party was nothing to write home about. I think bringing all the different offices and departments together for a big shindig like this is great for company morale.
* shindig: a party
ex> The bowling league hosted a shindig at the end of the season each year.

Let me refill my wine glass. I think I’m going to need a shot of courage to do this.
* a shot of courage: an extra drink to give someone confidence
ex> Rick needed a shot of courage before he could ask the beautiful woman to dance with him.

Just follow my lead and you’ll be fine. Anyway, they look like a friendly group.
* follow one’s lead: to imitate what someone does
= leave it to me; let me handle it; do what I tell you
ex> I can teach you the dance moves, just follow my lead.
ex> If you want to learn something well, just follow the lead of the best people in that area.

Oh boy! Here goes nothing.
* here goes nothing: a way of suggesting you don’t know what the outcome will be or what is about to happen, 밑져야 본전이지, 한번 해 보지 뭐
ex> “Here goes nothing,” Tom said when he stepped into the boxing ring for the first time.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기