배너

2014년 12월 16일 화요일

PE 12/1 Year-end Gathering of Friends

Well, it sounds like you’re making a lot of sacrifices to climb the corporate ladder.
* climb the corporate ladder: to rise in the ranks in a company
ex> My father spent his life trying to climb the corporate ladder, only to retire as a mid-level executive.

Yeah, but tonight, I’m going to let my hair down. I really need to re-learn how to relax.
* let one’s hair down: to allow oneself to have a good time
= let loose; enjoy myself; have a good time
ex> Don’t be so boring! Let your hair down a little and have fun!
ex> After a difficult three weeks, the project team let their hair down and celebrated their success.

Why don’t we get some food? I made some crab puffs that are just divine, if I do say so myself.
* if I do say so myself: a way of giving oneself credit or to make a mild boast
ex> It takes more than a good camera to take good pictures, if I do say so myself.

Crab puffs? Lead me to them! But I must warn you – there may not be any left in about 15 minutes. You've discovered my kryptonite!
* kryptonite: one’s greatest weakness in terms of vices or desires
ex> Although she had a strong will, chocolate was her kryptonite.

Whatever happened to “go into another room and call me to get me away from him”? You’re too funny.
* Whatever happened to…?: Why are you doing or saying the opposite of what you said earlier?
ex> Whatever happened to your favorite saying, “Live and let live”?
ex> Whatever happened to “I’m going to save one-third of my salary this year?”


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기