배너

2014년 12월 22일 월요일

PE 12/19 Wrapping Christmas Presents – Old Newspapers or Fancy Paper?

I guess she figured you’d do a sloppy job and end up wasting a lot of nice gift wrap.
* sloppy: untidy
= messy; blowzy; slobbish
ex> the sergeant yelled at the new soldier for his sloppy way of dressing.
ex> The sloppy look of the restaurant didn't reflect the quality of their food.

Anyway, it usually takes me a few tries, so this is more of a work in progress than the finished product.
* a work in progress: an incomplete project of an artistic or literary nature
ex> The old house is a work in progress – we’re rebuilding it to be as close to the original as possible.
ex> Mozart’s final piece of music was still a work in progress when he died.

Well, I would love it if you would make an exception and use the nice paper when you wrap my gift. I think I’m worth the extra expense if you mess up a few times.
* make an exception: to suspend a rule for someone one time
ex> I don’t normally give out my phone number, but for you I’ll make an exception.

Really? In that case, I’d better cover my butt and get you a little something. Maybe it’ll come in a small square box and have a flip-top lid and black velvet inside.
* in that case: if that is the situation
ex> I see you didn't like the chicken. In that case, may I offer you some fish?
* cover one’s butt: to protect oneself from liability
ex> We did our best to cover our butts when the inspection revealed serious problems with the factory.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기