배너

2014년 12월 16일 화요일

PE 12/8 Buying Snow Tires for the Car

But it was the middle of summer, go figure! Now that we need it, the prices are sky high.
* go figure: how strange
ex> By the time I got to the doctor I had stopped coughing. Go figure!
* sky high: very expensive
ex> Gas prices have gone sky high since last summer.

Well, we don’t have much choice. We’re between a rock and a hard place.
* be between a rock and a hard place: to be in a difficult situation with no easy solution
ex> When my boss told me to do something and my wife said not to, I was between a rock and a hard place.

Okay, I’m sold. Let’s order these and schedule a time to have them installed.
* sell someone on something: to convince about something
ex> His girlfriend sold him on the idea that they should get married.

We’d better step on it, look at the satellite map on the weather channel!
* step on it: increase one’s speed
= get a move on; pick up the speed; move fast
ex> When you are on the on-ramp of an interstate, you’d better step on it or you’ll be in trouble.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기