배너

2014년 12월 22일 월요일

PE 12/18 Vermont – Skiing at Killington

As serious as a heart attack! Look, every time I go to a new ski resort I do my best to ski every trail.
* as serious as a heart attack: determined; not joking around
ex> The judge spoke to the convicted criminal with a tone as serious as a heart attack.
ex> Bill was as serious as a heart attack when he told me he saw a bear in his back yard.

Well, we've got a week to do it, so it should be a piece of cake.
* a piece of cake: something that is easy to do
ex> It may look easy, but climbing that mountain is not a piece of cake.

Cool! So let’s take the quad lift all the way to the top of Killington peak and get our bearings.
* get one’s bearings: to figure out in which direction one is traveling; understand a new task
ex> After we got our bearings, we estimated that we had been going the wrong way for five hours.
ex> When I finally got my bearings at my job, it was already 5:30 and everyone else was gone.

Sounds like a plan! We’ll knock out the first few miles of our quest right off the bat.
* right off the bat: from the beginning
= from the get-go; instantly; at once
ex> Laura began accusing Reggie of trying to steal his customers right off the bat.

That sounds like fun. But let’s play it safe today. Anyway, I don’t want to embarrass you on the first day here. Ha ha!
* play it safe: to not take any unnecessary risks
ex> We played it safe and took the main road during the blizzard instead of the narrow country road.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기